Tulsa mass shooter allegedly gunned down his doctor after asking for help with pain

J Pat Carter/Getty Images

(TULSA, Okla.) — A patient gunned down his surgeon and three other people in a mass shooting at a Tulsa, Oklahoma, medical building on Wednesday after blaming the doctor for his pain, according to police.

On May 19, the suspected gunman underwent back surgery. Dr. Preston Phillips — one of the four people killed in the shooting at the Natalie Building, a five-story medical complex at Saint Francis Hospital — was the suspect’s doctor in that surgery, Tulsa Police Chief Wendell Franklin said at a news conference Thursday.

A letter recovered on the suspect, Michael Louis, made it clear “that he came with the intent to kill Dr. Phillips and anyone who got in his way,” Franklin said. “He blamed Dr. Phillips for the ongoing pain following the surgery.”

Louis bought an AR-style semi-automatic rifle just hours before the shooting, Franklin said. He bought a 40-caliber pistol from a pawn shop on May 29, police said.

The shooter died at the site from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.

The three others killed were Dr. Stephanie Husen, receptionist Amanda Green and patient William Love, Franklin said.

“They stood in the way” so the suspect “gunned them down,” Franklin said.

The suspect was released from the hospital on May 24, five days after his surgery, Franklin said. After his release, the suspect called several times over several days complaining of pain and wanting additional treatment, the chief said.

On Tuesday, Phillips saw the suspect again for additional treatment, the chief said. On Wednesday, the suspect called the doctor complaining of back pain and wanting additional help, the chief said.

At 4:52 p.m. local time Wednesday, a patient on a video chat with a doctor called 911 after the doctor told her there was shooting, police said. The first 911 call came in at 4:53 p.m. and police arrived at 4:56 p.m., the chief said.

A gunshot heard at 4:58 p.m. was believed to be the suspect’s self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.

Phillips was found dead in an exam room, police said.

The chief called it a “senseless tragedy.”

“This is yet another act of violence upon an American city,” Franklin said. “We train for instances such as this. And I’m overwhelmed and proud of the men and women, all those that responded.”

“Our training led us to take immediate action without hesitation. … That’s what they did in this instance,” Franklin said.

ABC News’ Jenna Harrison Esseling contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *